I am conservator for my mother. She owns a house but is in a nursing home. It makes sense for me to purchase the house. Can I do so?

You can purchase the house as long as it is a fair transaction. You should have the house appraised by an independent appraiser to determine its fair market value. You should then petition the court to ask for approval to purchase the house for fair market value. This will provide other interested parties to raise an objection to the purchase. If there are no objections and the court determines that the sale would be in your mother’s best interest, you can obtain a court order approving the sale to you. Absent court approval, this could look like conflict of interest.