What documents do I need to open an informal probate estate in Michigan?

If the decedent left a will, you will need to file the original will and a copy of the death certificate. You will also need to file an application for informal probate, a testimony of heirs, and an acceptance of appointment by the proposed personal representative. Some probate courts also require you to file a Registrar’s Statement and Letters of Authority, while other probate courts prepare these documents for you. In addition to the documents, you will need to pay a filing fee of $175.00 and $12.00 for each certified Letter of Authority. The court will not return the original will after the close of the estate so you should make sure to make a copy of the will.

If the decedent did not leave a will, you will file the same documents as above. However, since there is no personal representative named in a will, the proposed personal representative may have to obtain renunciations from other heirs with equal or greater priority to be personal representative.