How do I name a guardian for my children of something happens to me?

You can name a guardian for your children in your will. A guardian can be a family member of friend. You can also name one or more back-up guardians. However, if you are divorced, your former spouse’s parental rights take priority over any guardian you name. Aside from a surviving parent, the person or persons you name as guardian take priority over anyone else.