Do I need to file a bond if I am appointed personal representative of my father’s estate?

It depends. In Washtenaw County, for example, the probate court does not typically require a personal representative to file a bond unless an interested person provides a reason why bond is necessary. However, in other counties, for example, Wayne County, the probate court is much more likely to require you to file a bond in the amount of the inventory value of the estate. The bond is intended to protect beneficiaries of the estate from any wrong doing by the Personal Representative.