When do I need a Conservatorship for a minor?

A minor Conservatorship is necessary if a child inherits money.  Another example of a situation in which a minor Conservatorship is needed is when a child is injured and is expected to received money from a settlement or trial.  In that case, the Conservatorship is necessary for a parent or legal guardian to approve a settlement on behalf of the child.  Finally, a Conservator might be necessary if a child is an owner of real property that is being sold.  If there is a single transaction, however, the Probate Court might issue a protective order rather than requiring a full Conservatorship.